SYA Soccer Association
U8-U9 PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Location: Centreville VA
Status: Full-time Staff Position
Reports to: Technical Director
The Southwestern Youth Association (SYA) is seeking a U8 – U9 Program Director to build and lead our new youth program. We are looking for candidates that will develop an innovative and high quality youth development programming through excellence in coaching, and high levels of customer service. SYA seeks a high energy, proactive, skilled and effective leader who is highly motivated to recruit, train and develop soccer coaches and soccer players at all levels. The director will be a key member of our staff.
The U8-U9 Program Director is a full-time, permanent managerial/Coaching position of SYA. The U8-U9 Program Director reports to the Technical Director. The U8 – U9 Program Director has responsibility over and is accountable for leadership and operations of the competitive and recreational programs from U8 through U9 in consultation with SYA technical staff.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Lead, develop, implement and evaluate SYA’s U8 – U9 programming, including:
- Player development and retention;
- Coach development and retention; and,
- Parent education.
- Cultivate positive, proactive and inclusive communication with colleagues and the SYA Soccer membership and be accessible to the membership on all technical matters pertaining to the age groups
- Work with SYA’s leadership team to assist in SYA’s growth and expansion
Player Development Responsibilities
The U8-U9 Program director, in consultation with the SYA’s technical staff will:
- Organize, lead and evaluate age appropriate coaching clinics.
- Lead one of the SYA U9 CCL Red teams
- Organize, lead and evaluate skill development clinics and training sessions for players and coaches in the U8 – U9 age group.
- Help create long and short term seasonal and yearly objectives with regard to age groups and skill development in conjunction with the SYA Technical Staff
- Organize, lead and evaluate the design of training priorities for each group and level
- Evaluate and recommend tournaments appropriate for program teams
- Coach and help the organization of summer & Spring Break camps within the club
- Ensure successful player placement processes
- Oversee the movement of players across teams as appropriate
Coaching Development Responsibilities
The U8-U9 Program Director is responsible for leading the age group coaching staff and ensuring that our coaches deliver the highest quality program. The Director will work with the Technical Director and will collaborate with the SYA technical staff to:
- Identify, hire, develop, retain and supervise U8 & U9 coaching staff, both travel & Recreational.
- Lead in the implementation of the SYA Development Curriculum
- Help coaches in the U8 – U9 age group plan and implement effective practice sessions based on the Curriculum
- Guide, lead, facilitate and evaluate the player placement process in the club
Parent Education Responsibilities
The Director will provide club parents in the U8 – U9 age group with a variety of opportunities to gain knowledge regarding the club’s policies and philosophies on youth development and age appropriate activities, through:
- Preparing written materials that provide parents with important information regarding youth development.
- Arranging orientations, seminars and other opportunities for our staff and appropriate outside educators to provide information on youth development, sportsmanship, and other sports related issues.
- Alerting parents to key club information and youth development opportunities
In addition to the above-listed responsibilities, the director is responsible for ensuring the smooth and seamless operation of the program and will:
- Work closely with administrative staff on shared technical/administrative matters
- Coordinate with administrative staff on field permitting and equipment for the execution of U8-U9 programs
- Support and assist staff regarding club sponsored tournaments and events
- Attend Board of Directors Meeting as requested
- Attend Technical Staff Meetings as requested
Program Start up Responsibilities
The start date for the position is March 1st. During the spring season the primary role will be evaluating the current U7 players, making recommendations to those suitable to apply for the U8 Academy. Educating parents on the new U8 program and getting a coaching staff ready for the 2014-15 season. Based on the success and interest of the U8 program the role of program Director U8-9 maybe split into a boys Director and Girls Director.
- USSF "B" license or equivalent and National Youth License preferred
- Strong Commitment to youth development and the development of soccer players
- Highly motivated and energetic
- Proven experience leading and building successful programs
- Experience coaching and working with children of a variety of ages and with diverse communities
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with coaches, parents and players
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must pass a background check and be of excellent character
The base salary for the position will be between $25,000 – $30,000. Based on experience. There will be other opportunities within the club to make additional income. Summer Camps, Spring Break Camp, winter indoor development clinics, etc.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 25th 2014. No phone inquiries please.
Southwestern Youth Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.